Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Morning Pancakes


Not sure why but this morning I was at the dog park with the wind blowing, sun shining and  I had a craving for pancakes.  Now I am not a huge breakfast eater, due most likely to my overexposure to breakfast serving it for 10 years as a waitress at Mike's Cafe and The St. Clair Broiler, but every once in awhile I get a strong craving.  Usually I head to our local cafe, Just For You, but didn't feel like paying $10+ for pancakes, coffee and sausage this morning so thought I would take a stab at making pancakes from scratch at home.

I pulled a basic recipe off of the internet and then changed it a bit and the results were great.  This was really easy and not sure I would ever use a box mix again.  I had all the ingredients in the house and topped with a little organic maple syrup, it was really a delight.  I bet my husband wishes he was home for breakfast this morning!
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour (all purpose)
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt (I used black sea salt for a little extra kick)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg
3 tablespoons melted butter
Optional: blueberries

Melt the butter, measure the milk and take the egg out of the refrigerator.  Let all come to room temperature. You can also warm the milk for 10-20 seconds in the microwave if you don't have time to bring to room temperature.

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.  Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture and add the butter, milk and egg.  Mix with a whisk (but don't over mix).

Heat a griddle or non-stick pan, grease with butter (makes the pancakes brown) and drop 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake on the pan.  Brown both sides.  If adding blueberries, I add to the upside of the pancake once in the pan (the side that is still batter).  They will then "melt" once that side hits the pan...always use fresh blueberries if available, they just taste better.  If you have extra batter, you can store in the refrigerator and use the next day.

No comments: